Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Introducing Nickel and Diming My Way Through the Recession

I'm not sure what the rest of you out there are doing to get through the recession, but rather than be miserable with less money in my pocket, I am starting to get a kick out of finding ways to save money. Even funny stuff I hear about (like using cotton balls out of medicine bottles to remove makeup) somehow cheers me up after seeing my 401K tank, or adding up the true cost of helping my two sons through college, and living through other financial problems.

I'd love to hear your ideas, even if you just think they are cool ideas, but you would never try them yourself (like the cotton ball idea).

I know no matter how bad it gets for me and my family, there is always someone out there who is hurting even more, which is unfortunate. So, as I whine on this blog about day to day things I and other middle-class suburban working people are doing to get by, I apologize in advance to anyone in even dire circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. Ha. This is a funny topic and one that is important during these tough economic times.

    I often see people order a large fountain drink at a restaurant that allows free refills. Why not just order the small and fill up as many times as you wish?

    One way I try to scale back on expenses is by setting my thermostat to lower the temp of my house while I'm gone most of the day, and then turn on an hour before I normally arrive home.

    However, where I've also found some significant savings is by reusing toilet paper.

    I hope in some small way my ideas may help those who are feeling the pinch of this tough economy.

    ReplyDelete